The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released an updated consumer report on the safety of silicone gel breast implants in June 2014. Prior to November 2006, silicon gel-filled implants were recalled because of poor safety concerns. The June 2014 report reveals the long-term performance since 2006, approving the breast implants for women older than 22 years for reconstructive, augmentation, and revision purposes.
At Mosharrafa Plastic Surgery, our plastic surgeons, Dr. Ali Mosharrafa and Dr. Tamir Mosharrafa, only offer the safest alternatives for breast implants. If the FDA recalls a service or does not approve something, we will not offer it at our Phoenix outpatient surgery center. For the best plastic surgery advice and solutions to any of your aesthetic or cosmetic concerns, trust the specialists at Mosharrafa Plastic Surgery.
The FDA discloses their continual support of these breast implant alternatives in safety and efficacy when they are used as intended. The Administration also releases information that all women should consider before opting for these solutions:
– Breast implants are not lifetime devices. Silicone gel-filled breast implants should be replaced after a certain amount of time. Surgeons and patients should monitor the breasts for the rest of the time they remain.
– The most common outcome of a silicone gel-filled implant is the tightening o the skin just around the capsular contracture (the actual implant).
– According to recent studies, silicone gel-filled implants do NOT cause breast cancer or reproductive problems.
The recommendations that the FDA have regarding breast implant follow up care practically mirror those of Mosharrafa Plastic Surgery’s:
1. Always schedule routine follow up appointments.
2. Be careful. These are not lifetime solutions for your breasts. Talk to either Dr. Tamir Mosharrafa or Dr. Ali Mosharrafa about options after 5 or 10 years following your surgery.
3. Pay attention. If you notice any change in your breast, notify Dr. Ali or Dr. Tamir immediately.
4. Stay in touch. If you move or change facilities, always keep your original surgeons information handy in case your next surgeon needs to contact them for any reason.
If you wish to set up a consultation with one of our surgeons, please do not hesitate to call us at our Phoenix location. We are easily accessible and here to help. Call us now at (602) 513-8133.
The advice and information contained in this article is for educational purposes only, and is not intended to replace or counter a physician’s advice or judgment. Please always consult your physician before taking any advice learned here or in any other educational medical material.
Back to Overview
Related Blog Posts
The professionalism by all the staff I had contact with including the reception area staff was excellent. Everything went well and on time!Read Reviews
Dr. Ali and Dr. Tamir understand that you have made an important decision by choosing to undergo plastic surgery, and they are committed to delivering the exceptional results you expect and deserve.