Breast augmentation is the most popular cosmetic surgery performed each year. It uses implants to enhance the size, shape, and projection of the breasts, balancing the overall profile of the body. Many women find that a breast augmentation procedure has a life-changing impact, delivering the boost in self-confidence that often comes when you are satisfied with your look.
Breast enhancement can have a dramatic impact on your appearance, providing you with a more proportionate and balanced body contour. As a result, your procedure can not only improve the appearance of your breasts, but your overall appearance.
You can achieve much more than a larger breast size from breast augmentation. The procedure provides a variety of benefits, including:
- Improved breast shape
- Restoration of lost volume due to pregnancy, weight loss, or aging
- Correction of breast asymmetry
- More attractive and visible cleavage
- Improved breast projection
- Expanded wardrobe options
- Improved appearance in revealing clothing
There are many other reasons that women choose breast augmentation, but most feel in general that their appearance would be improved with larger breasts.
Ideal breast augmentation candidates:
- Would like to improve the appearance of their breasts
- Have realistic expectations for the outcome of their procedure
- Are in good general health
- Have enough natural breast tissue to cover the implant
- Are not currently pregnant or breastfeeding
- Are near their ideal body weight
- Are non-smokers or are willing to quit smoking prior to their procedure and throughout the recovery period
In addition, there are certain age restrictions imposed by the FDA. You must be at least 18 years old to get saline breast implants and 22 years old to get silicone breast implants.
Breast implant surgery comes with a wide array of options to consider. During your consultation, you will discuss your preferences for each of these factors and many others.
The two main types of implants are made with a silicone shell and contain either saline or silicone filling. Each has its benefits— for example, many women find that silicone implants feel more like natural breast tissue, but can require monitoring for ruptures. Conversely, ruptures are easier to detect with saline implants, but they can produce visible rippling. We also offer gummy bear implants as a third option, although they still contain silicone filling. Your plastic surgeon can discuss the pros and cons of each type during a private consultation.
During a breast augmentation procedure, implants can be placed either underneath the chest muscle or on top of it. In both cases, a pocket is formed within the breast tissue to accommodate the implant. Both placement options come with benefits and can affect your recovery in different ways.
Incisions can be made underneath the breast fold, around the areolae, or within the armpit. Each offers benefits and can depend on your implant choice. With each option, scarring can be easily concealed.
Breast augmentation can often be more effective when paired with additional procedures. The most common option is a breast lift to reshape the breast and reduce sagging. Liposuction is another option to further contour and shape the upper chest for more defined results. Breast augmentation can also be performed using fat grafting. When patients opt for a tummy tuck at the same time as a breast augmentation, it is often called a mommy makeover.
In order to achieve the best possible results, it is important to follow our aftercare instructions very carefully. This will ensure a smooth recovery and reduce the risk of complications.
Prior to surgery, we will provide you with detailed written instructions for you to follow, and we will go through these instructions with you in person to make sure you understand each of your steps. In general, it is important to keep the following points in mind:
- Make sure you arrange for someone to drive you home after your procedure since it will be unsafe for you to drive after being under anesthesia. You should also make sure someone is with you at home for the rest of the day to assist you.
- It is common to experience swelling, bruising, and mild discomfort during the first week of recovery. Dr. Ali and Dr. Tamir will prescribe medications to help you manage any pain and discomfort. You should take these according to their instructions.
- You will need to take it easy during the first few days of your recovery. Light walking is encouraged as soon as you are able to, but make sure you refrain from strenuous activities. Dr. Ali and Dr. Tamir will let you know when it is safe to resume normal activities during a follow-up appointment.
- In most instances, you should be able to return to work after about a week; however, the exact timeframe will be based on how your recovery is moving along as well as the nature of your job.
- You will see results immediately, but your final results will emerge around 3-6 months after the procedure.
Overall, you should plan on plenty of rest and time off from work or school during your recovery. It is important to follow instructions and allow your body to recover without too much stress. If you experience anything out of the ordinary or have questions, please contact us.
5 Stars. Thank you for a wonderful experience. Everyone is so nice!
The professionalism by all the staff I had contact with including the reception area staff was excellent. Everything went well and on time!
Dr. Mosharrafa is an incredibly honest doctor. He does not try and oversell you on “this or that”. He is kind and caring.
The skill and experience of your plastic surgeon is the most important factor in considering your options for breast augmentation. Both of our board-certified plastic surgeons have been in practice for over 20 years, and very few plastic surgeons in the Phoenix area have the extensive training and experience of Dr. Ali and Dr. Tamir.
Dr. Ali trained under Dr. Frank Gerow, the inventor of the breast implant, at Baylor College of Medicine. During his training with Dr. Gerow, Dr. Ali was able to gain experience working through a wide array of breast problems. Dr. Tamir received similar training at Baylor College of Medicine and at the Comprehensive Breast Care Center at the University of Kentucky Lexington where he trained with some of the best breast surgeons in the field.
Please contact Mosharrafa Plastic Surgery using our online form or call 602-513-8133 to schedule your breast augmentation consultation. We serve patients in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Paradise Valley, Arizona. We are accustomed to caring for patients who travel from out of the area as well. During a consultation, we can discuss your best options for excellent breast augmentation results.